Danske Bank Rugby Schools' Cup Round One Victory

Congratulations to Grosvenor’s 1st XV rugby team which achieved a convincing 25-3 victory away to Cambridge House Grammar School on the morning of Saturday 10th September. 

On a blustery morning the team started quickly, dominating possession and territory, and after good recycling and work from the forwards the ball was put wide allowing winger Caleb McCullagh touch down in the corner to give his side a 5-0 lead.  Following this Grosvenor continued their good work by quickly retaining possession before working a penalty which Mark Johnston easily slotted over for an 8-0 lead. Keeping up the pressure, the Cambridge House defence was soon put under a lot of pressure once again before centre Thomas Quinn eventually broke the line to score, with Johnston’s resulting conversion extending his team's lead to 15-0.

Despite a Cambridge House penalty reducing the margin to 15-3 just before half-time, Grosvenor started strongly in the second half and quickly gained possession in the opposition’s last third. From a series of forward drives flanker Daniel Mayhew forced his way over while a GGS rolling maul soon after allowed prop Andrew Boyd to cross the opposition try line, concluding Grosvenor’s scoring for the day. Despite Cambridge House finishing strongly Grosvenor continued to defend with great passion and intensity to keep them out, thus ensuring a convincing final scoreline of 25-3 on the day.

Well done to all of the squad members who performed so well on the day, as well as to coaches Mr Andrew Gibson and Mr Gary Hunter, without whose skill, expertise and guidance the boys would not have developed as they have done so impressively throughout the season.  The team will now host Omagh Academy in the second round of the competition on Saturday 24th January – all within the School wish the boys the best of luck for this encounter. 

Grosvenor flanker Daniel Mayhew competes for the ball during Saturday's Danske Bank Schools' Cup Round One victory over Cambridge House

Centre Thomas Quinn celebrates his try to put Grosvenor 13-0 ahead during Saturday's encounter